Friday, April 10, 2009

Grandmother


This year, Valentine's Day was memorable. I drove to Salt Lake in the morning, and then I got a call in the early afternoon from my mom saying that my Grandma was in the hospital. Two hours later I find out that she was in a coma and the doctor's had no idea how much longer she would live. My grandma, non-responsive, lay in a hospital bed dying and I had to say goodbye over the phone. The only words that came out were, "I love you." I was mostly in shock. My grandmother, the healthiest person I knew, was about to die. She was only 79, but at least she was 79. I got off the phone and cried for about 3 hours straight, and then stared at the wall. I couldn't believe that my grandma, also one of my best friends, was not going to be a part of my life anymore. I was actually amazed at the way I responded. I'm not an incredibly emotional person, but the tears just kept coming. I lost all composure and my eyes became incredibly red and swollen.

I know that I will see her again. I know that she lived a good and full life. I know that it was her time to go. But all of this knowledge doesn't make it easy. I still miss her. I think about her everyday. I cry every once in a while. The other day I read an article that I thought she would like, and I pulled out my phone to give her a call and it hit me all over again. I love her. I miss her. However, I can't think of a better thing to happen on Valentine's Day than for my grandmother to be reunited with her eternal companion.

I have never met anyone who was more spiritually prepared to die. She was ready. I have no doubt in my mind. She is a true Christian, and I know that she has blessed many people and will continue to do so on the otherside. Grandma, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment