Tuesday, March 9, 2010

God Only Cries for the Living

Death is such a mysterious event; it is unavoidable, but for some reason it is often unexpected. I have been stunned by it on multiple occasions, but I most recently experienced a blow when I heard that my great aunt Sara passed away on Friday. Just one month ago she was doing fine. Now she is gone.

I am always fascinated by my reaction when I lose someone who I am close to, mostly because I cry a lot. It is unusual for me to lose my composure, but there is something about death that does me in. I do not handle it well. Times like these remind me that I am immensely grateful for the atonement of Jesus Christ. It offers peace when I cannot be consoled by any other means. I know that Christ died for us so that we can return to live with him, AND with each other. We are organized into family units because we need each other. I suppose that is why it is so hard to let go. Although I know that I will see my aunt Sara again, I still feel a sense of loss. I do not believe that any one's shoes can be filled; we need to leave our own legacy behind.

The funeral was incredible. I have not felt that peaceful in a long time. Aunt Sara, I am going to miss you. I hope that I am worthy of such a loving tribute from family and friends when I die. Thank you for being a tremendous example of Christ-like love and service.

No comments:

Post a Comment